Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Summer Reading

Since we began homeschooling 4 years ago, summer became the READ, READ, READ time . Sure we read throughout the year, but summers are a bit more laid back on schooling, so we read a lot . Our local library has a great summer reading incentive program complete with cool prizes for my kids and great dining coupons for the family . Therefore, its an incentive for the whole family . This summer has been my favorite reading time, thus far. Mostly because my girl began to have a heart for good literature, and my oldest boy took a leap from reading chapter books to youth adult books. In addition to those wonderful things, I witnessed first hand the value of a good story impacting my children's character for the better. For the past three years I have heard seminar after seminar on the importance of reading aloud to your children and how it would be a great character building tool. However, we have read, and read, and read, and Im just now beginning to see the fruit of the hard labor. My kids actually long to curl up together and read over watching TV and they beg to be read "just one more chapter". Ahhh.....We have finally started putting a dent in our reading goal list . So, this post is a list of books we've read this summer and how much we enjoyed them .

We started out the summer reading this book aloud:
Raising Dragons by Bryan Davis

This book is a 3 volume christian fiction book series. I strategically chose this 400 page book as our family read aloud to peak Britton's curiosity. It worked. He LOVED the silly story about children that turn into dragons and have to fight off the mighty Slayer. The great thing about this book was it's Christian view point that also had teenagers living a life of faith. The book was fast paced and packed with nail-biting adventure! Chesney and Britton hung on to every word and loved every second of the book. That makes this book a winner in my opinion. After finishing book number one, Britton read book number two on his own. A four hundred page book . He didn't tear through it like I hoped he would, but he diligently read a chapter or two a day until he completed the book. In the end he felt so BIG and realized that you CAN read 400 page books at nine years old.

Another book we read aloud this summer was Mcgee and Me by BIll Myers.

The book we checked out at the library actually had three stories in one book . It was very humorous, enjoyable and taught great biblical values . The children learned how to take up for the "different" child and stand up to the bully in a non-violent,creative way . We also learned how to tackle your fears with God and how to trust Him in the storms of life . Again, these books are on the silly side, but greatly impacted my kids and created a deeper love for books .

Adam of the Road by Elizabeth Janet Gray was yet another great book.

This book was a story about a 13 year old boy, Adam, that lost his Dad and dog on the road . Its about his journey to find those he loved most in his life . The beauty of this book is that it took place in the middle ages . It was a great review of the geography and the history we learned about in our studies of the middle ages this past year.

Last week we listened to a radio theater production of The Hedge of Thorns

My favorite book of the summer!!! This book was written in early 1600's and is based on a true story. The book was packed with wisdom and provided great conversation with our kids. They learned that sin has consequences that may scar you for life. That God sets boundaries and guidelines for us to follow as a hedge of protection. I highly recommend this book!!! The audio version by lamplighter is worth every penny.

Chesney and I read an all time favorite of mine, The Secret Garden.

A wonderful book about how love and friendship can transform a hardend heart and feeble body . I cherish every second I spent reading this classic with my little girl . She giggled out loud and smiled throughout this book while reading at bedtime . Then the next day she'd pack up a "special" bag and head outside in hunt of a place that she could call her own secret garden. Her imagination came to life with this book and joy filled my soul as I witnessed it .

Strawberry Girl was another Mommy/daughter read.

I picked this book up at the Trussville library on the newly placed "Award-winning books" shelf. That's right!! They now have a bookshelf designated for Newbery and Caldecot award winning books . I LOVE IT!!! For years I have been trying to make book lists of classics and good read-alouds . One thing I have discovered is that the award winning books never let me down. SO, you can imagine my excitement to find a shelf that I can just walk right up to and find a GOOD book . It makes a Momma happy. All that to say, I found this sweet little book parked right on that shelf . The name caught my eye, because I have a strawberry loving girl, so the book seemed appropriate . This book was a good ole "Little House on the Prairie" kind of book, complete with a revival and redemption . I must warn you, if you read this book, you need to practice your best country slang and southern draw before reading aloud. Just because your from the south does not make reading dialect of the Florida Crackers aloud easy...

We are now reading Carry on, Mr. Bowditch for our first family read aloud biography. I've heard so many great things about this book! I'll let you know how it goes!!


When it takes two days to write a post, the post is probably too long .
I must find time to write, I must find time to write.

Happy reading to you,
Brook

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the new site! Thanks for the list of books. I'll add some of them to our list as well!

Leigh

Love, lake life, sobriety and god said...

so many memories you are giving your children and yourself. what a wonderful way to connect with each one. you are such a great mom!

counter